Why Chevrolet Is So Upset with Parker Retzlaff

DAYTONA BEACH, FLORIDA - AUGUST 23: Parker Retzlaff, driver of the #31 FUNKAWAY Chevrolet, high fives fans during driver intros prior to the NASCAR Xfinity Series Wawa 250 Powered by Coca-Cola at Daytona International Speedway on August 23, 2024 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo by Logan Riely/Getty Images)

What’s Happening?

Parker Retzlaff had a stellar race at Daytona on Saturday, only overshadowed by the driver he pushed on the last lap, Harrison Burton. However, the young driver has found himself at the center of controversy after that last lap.

Who is Parker Retzlaff?

Parker Retzlaff has journeyed through the NASCAR ranks with relative speed. Working through part-time opportunities with sponsor FUNKAWAY, Retzlaff was an eye-catching name hungry for success.

Despite the part-time starts in the lower series, the team Chevy driver started his full-time career in NASCAR’s secondary series. The Wisconsin native’s first full-time season in NASCAR was last year in the Xfinity Series with Jordan Anderson Racing.

Not only did Retzlaff make it to Xfinity at age 20, but this season, part-time NASCAR Cup Series team Beard Motorsports announced that Retzlaff would race at the summer’s Coke Zero Sugar 400 at Daytona. Late in the race Saturday night, Retzlaff had survived the big wrecks with just a spot of nose damage coming to the final restart.


What did Retzlaff do?

At the choose cone, team Chevy driver Kyle Busch lined up on the inside with Harrison Burton’s Ford on the outside of the front row. Toyota’s Christopher Bell, in front of Retzlaff, lined up behind Busch, leaving an unideal situation for the frontmost Chevrolet drivers.

At Superspeedway races like Daytona, your manufacturer matters more than your team. That’s why you see Ford drivers pit together, Toyota drivers lay low in the pack together, or Chevrolet drivers pushing a line together through the pack.

In Retzlaff’s second Cup Series start, he found himself in a tough situation: give yourself a good run or work with full-time Cup Series driver Kyle Busch. Busch needed a win at Daytona for multiple reasons, including locking himself into the playoffs.

On the final lap, Busch was led by a lot, despite Bell pushing him rather than his Chevy teammate, until, on the backstretch, Retzlaff pushed Burton to the front. Coming off the final turn, rather than push Kyle Busch, Retzlaff maintained his spot, with Busch staying in front of Bell rather than moving in front of Parker.

The finish, despite both drivers’ top-tens, has led to reported tension between the young Chevy driver and his manufacturer.

Team or Manufacturer?

Retzlaff’s relationship with RCR complicates this. Jordan Anderson Racing has a close relationship with RCR as they and Beard Motorsports use ECR engines to power their Camaros. Retzlaff is also a member of Team Dillon Management, which is owned by Childress family members Austin and Ty Dillon.

The Beard Motorsports aspect of this relationship is also a tough conversation, as it sparks the debate of whether smaller teams should allow larger teams of the same manufacturer to perform better. On the final lap, Retzlaff had a chance to finish higher than Busch by not helping him, and while he still finished behind the No. 8, Chevrolet was reportedly upset at Retzlaff for not helping Busch.

In interviews, Retzlaff said it was what he had to do and that he wanted to push the eight. In a post-race conversation with NASCAR Corner, Parker said, “Definitely not what I wanted to do, but I didn’t wanna also not give myself a shot. These guys (Beard Motorsports) work too hard, and I have a shot to win this race.”

This was not Retzlaff’s entirely selfish act. This finish is great publicity for both his sponsor and the small team he raced for. In fact, it was Beard Motorsports’s second top-ten finish this year, something they have only done once before.

While the consequences of his actions are still unknown, if there are any, Retzlaff made the call because he felt he needed to do so for his team and stakeholders rather than for the greater good of a fellow Chevy driver. How that finish would have turned out is known for the teams, the drivers, and Chevrolet.

What are your thoughts on this? Let us know your opinions on Discord or X, and don’t forget you can also follow us on InstagramFacebook, and YouTube.

Share this:

Joey Logano Could Break Richard Petty’s 47-Year-Old Record

What’s Happening?

Joey Logano could break Richard Petty’s 47-year-old record for the most consecutive drafting-track races led this weekend at EchoPark Speedway. After leading laps in the Daytona 500, Logano has now led in 19 straight drafting-track races, dating back to 2023, tying a mark The King set from 1974 to 1979.

  • If Logano leads even a single lap in Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race, he would set a new all-time record with 20 consecutive drafting-track races led.
  • Richard Petty established the original streak across events at Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway, the only true drafting tracks of that era.
  • Since its 2022 reconfiguration, EchoPark Speedway has raced like a superspeedway, placing it in the same statistical category as Daytona and Talladega.
  • Joey Logano has led laps in 35 of his last 37 drafting-track starts dating back to 2019, with the only exceptions being Atlanta (now EchoPark) in July 2022 and Talladega in October 2022.
  • Since joining Team Penske in 2013, Joey Logano has led in 45 of the 59 drafting-track races disputed since the 2013 Daytona 500.

Logano now has a clear opportunity to move past Petty and claim sole possession of one of NASCAR’s longest-standing superspeedway records, and considering his and Team Penske’s history of dominance in this style of tracks, it seems that he is poised to break it.

Chris Gabehart and Denny Hamlin

Chris Gabehart Responds to JGR’s Lawsuit

What’s Happening?

Chris Gabehart has responded to Joe Gibbs Racing’s lawsuit, strongly denying the allegations and calling the claims “false,” “frivolous,” and “retaliatory” in a public statement released this Friday.

After the lawsuit became public, on Thursday, Gabehart spoke out for the first time, stating that he did not share any confidential JGR information with Spire Motorsports or any third parties and that he intends to prove that in court. He also said a third-party forensic review of his personal devices found no evidence supporting the accusations, adding that JGR declined an offer to examine Spire’s systems before filing suit.

“Yesterday afternoon, Joe Gibbs Racing filed a lawsuit claiming — falsely — that I shared JGR confidential information with Spire Motorsports and/or other unnamed third parties… I feel compelled to speak out today and forcefully and emphatically deny these frivolous and retaliatory claims.”

Gabehart said he will address the matter further in a formal legal response in the coming days.

You can learn more about the lawsuit, why it started and all the context surrounding it in the article linked below

What Happens if it Rains at Atlanta This Weekend?

What’s Happening?

Weather could play a major role in the NASCAR weekend at EchoPark Speedway, with current forecasts calling for a 40% chance of rain Saturday afternoon and increasing to 55% in the evening. While conditions are expected to improve, contingency plans are already in place in case races cannot be completed as scheduled

If Saturday Goes as Planned
  • All scheduled events run normally across the NASCAR Truck Series, O’Reilly Series, and Cup Series
  • No changes to Sunday’s schedule
If One Saturday Race Is Postponed
  • The delayed race would move to Sunday morning
  • It would run before the Cup Series race
  • Other races remain in their original slots
If Both Saturday Races Are Postponed
  • Sunday becomes a tripleheader, with the expected running order being: 1. O’Reilly Series, 2. Cup Series, 3. Truck Series
  • Schedule subject to change depending on conditions

NASCAR has not announced any official schedule changes yet, as decisions will be based on how conditions develop in real time. With rain chances increasing through Saturday afternoon and evening, teams are preparing for multiple outcomes, and Sunday is expected to serve as the primary backup window if events can’t be completed as planned.

Conditions are constantly being monitored, but fans should be prepared for possible schedule adjustments throughout the weekend. We’ll keep you updated throughout the race weekend here on The Daily Downforce