Does the Latest News Reveal Cleetus McFarland’s Long-Term NASCAR Plans?

CONCORD, NORTH CAROLINA - MAY 23: Garrett Mitchell, also known as Cleetus McFarland, driver of the #30 Kenetik Ford, speaks to former NASCAR Cup Series driver, Greg Biffle in the garage area during practice for the Menards Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 23, 2025 in Concord, North Carolina. (Photo by David Jensen/Getty Images)

What’s Happening?

A recent report suggests that YouTuber Garrett Mitchell, better known for his on-screen persona Cleetus McFarland, will play a key role in the return of Stellantis’ RAM brand to the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series. While this would be another step on the NASCAR ladder for Mitchell, how does this news match up with past comments from the YouTuber-turned-racer?

Ram and McFarland

Garrett Mitchell made his NASCAR debut in the ARCA Menards Series opener at Daytona International Speedway in February. Since then, the YouTuber, who has over four million subscribers on his Cleetus McFarland Channel, has become a viral sensation for the lowest level of NASCAR’s touring divisions.

While Mitchell is taking his development slowly, a shocking piece of information dropped this weekend when Adam Stern of Sports Business Journal reported that Mitchell will take part in another one of 2025’s biggest NASCAR stories. The report claimed that Mitchell is one of a few “potential drivers” who will play a major role in Ram Trucks’ return to NASCAR in 2026.

Since early February, rumors have circulated that the brand, which has not been in NASCAR in over a decade, could return to the sport in 2026. According to the report from Stern, their return, which is yet to be officially confirmed, will “lean on celebrity partnerships and potentially ownership to grow its presence quickly,” with Mitchell serving as a “driver and brand ambassador.”

So, if RAM returns and Mitchell joins them, how does this fit into his NASCAR development?

What Has Mitchell Said About His NASCAR Development?

Though he has mostly played his pursuits in NASCAR off as a gimmick, Mitchell is taking his development seriously since he debuted with Rette Jones Racing’s No. 30 Ford Mustang in February; Mitchell has added a race at three of the four styles of NASCAR tracks to his schedule.

However, what’s often overlooked in his part-time starts is his long-term goal.

Multiple times, Mitchell has mentioned making it to the 2027 Daytona 500 and stating that he initially intended to run the Great American Race as soon as possible. Yet, since his ARCA debut, McFarland has made a 180 on these opinions, often expressing his intentions to take his development as a driver slowly.

In doing so, Mitchell has also called out those drivers who take that quick jump to Cup he once pursued, currently calling this the “dumbest thing I could possibly do.”

After Daytona, McFarland told Corey LaJoie on the Jun. 3 episode of Stacking Pennies, “I’m just gonna run ARCA until I feel ready to go run Xfinity,” Mitchell said. “And then when I feel ready to run Cup, I’m gonna run Cup or [a] Truck.”

Even after his second Superspeedway race at Talladega, Mithcell reiterated his new slow approach to NASCAR development during an interview with NASCAR Legend Kevin Harvick.

“Our original goal was the Daytona 500 2027. And I’m not saying that’s off the board, but now that I know just a smidge about NASCAR, I still think that might be too early. Cause them guys are on a whole other level.” — Garrett Mitchell

We know that Mitchell is comfortable taking his time, and he is still interested in the 2027 Daytona 500, so how does a startup like RAM fit into this picture?

How does this play into Other Rumors About Dodge and the Truck Series?

The first and most obvious issue is the difficulty of finding a ride in the Truck Series. For example, take fellow celebrity turned racer Frankie Muniz. After a season with RJR in the No. 30, Muniz had to sit as a part-time driver in 2024, awaiting his spot in the Truck Series. Ram could fix this.

However, equally difficult for McFarland will be his pursuit of a ride for the Daytona 500. While it’s not hard to find a ride for the race, quality seats are few and far between. While Ram can quickly come back to the Truck Series in 2025 thanks to their spec Ilmor Engines, not far behind them in the NASCAR rumor mill is fellow Stellantis brand Dodge.

Rejoining the NASCAR Cup and even the Xfinity Series will take a little more work for the brand. A Feb. 22 report from Jordan Bianchi of the Athletic, Dodge’s Cup Series program “could be operational as soon as 2027 or 2028.” A keen eye will notice these two dates are within Mitchell’s projected timeline for the Daytona 500

So, rather than being a stopgap for Mitchell, the two Stellantis brands could work symbiotically to help themselves and Mitchell achieve their shared goals of racing at the highest level of NASCAR in the coming years.

Of course, both the 2027 Daytona 500 and the 2026 Craftsman Truck Series season are far away. A lot can change in that time, but maybe NASCAR fans will see two of the best storylines this season intertwine by next season.

Let us know your thoughts on this! Join the discussion on Discord or X, and remember to follow us on InstagramFacebook, and YouTube for more updates. 

Share this:

What Fans Think of NASCAR’s TV Coverage in 2026 (So Far)

What’s Happening?

As the 2026 NASCAR Cup Series season gets underway, The Daily Downforce is once again tracking how fans feel about race broadcasts throughout the year, just as we did last year. This ratings tracker exists to capture fan feedback in a clear, consistent way across the entire season for each TV partner.

How the Tracker Works

After each Cup Series race weekend, we will post a fan poll asking one simple question: “How would you rate this weekend’s Cup Series broadcast?” And fans can vote and comment based on their overall viewing experience. This article will be updated weekly with the most recent race’s numbers added to the tracker.

Where and How to Vote

  • The poll is posted on X (formerly Twitter) shortly after each race.
  • Fans can vote directly in the poll with just one tap.
  • Replies and quote posts are also monitored to gather more detailed feedback for a separate article after the season is concluded

Participation is quick and open to everyone.

Tracker

WeekNetworkRaceVotesGood | Average | BadSource
1FOXBowman Gray Clash36816% | 43% | 42%Check the Poll HERE
2FOXDaytona 50098942% | 46% | 12%Check the Poll HERE

Latest Poll Results

Remember to follow The Daily Downforce on X to catch each weekly poll, share your thoughts, and be part of the conversation.

NASCAR Coming to The Crew Motorfest in New Free Update

What’s Happening?

A new trailer revealed that NASCAR will be a part of The Crew Motorfest’s upcoming free season 9 update.

  • Ubisoft released a new trailer for The Crew Motorfest’s upcoming Island update, including a brief look at NASCAR racing as part of the new content
  • The NASCAR cars appear at the 1:08 minute mark of the trailer
  • The trailer shows officially licensed NASCAR Next Gen cars racing on an unidentified oval track
  • There are limited details on licenses, teams, drivers, tracks or gameplay mechanics, but the trailer shows the cars of Joey Logano, Kyle Busch, Kyle Larson, William Byron, Shane van Gisbergen, Brad Keselowski, Ross Chastain, and Ryan Blaney, all with official paint schemes and sponsors reminiscent of the 2025 season, confirming that the content present will be fully licensed by NASCAR
  • The collaboration is expected to feature a full playlist focused on oval racing disciplines such as drafting and pit strategy
  • Outside of the NASCAR content, Season 9 is likely to introduce a feature for building and sharing of custom tracks, as well as a new RC car playlist featuring miniature-scale racing

Will you be playing The Crew for this new update? Let us know your opinion on Discord or X. Don’t forget that you can also follow us on InstagramFacebook, and YouTube.

Kyle Busch’s Controversial Last Lap Move | Hamlin Defends Herbst | NASCAR Power Rankings!

Denny Hamlin defends Riley Herbst, Brad Keselowski is furious, and Kyle Busch leaves everyone debating what it means to truly compete for a Daytona 500. The final lap at Daytona International Speedway sparked multiple completely different controversies that say a lot about modern superspeedway racing.

  • Was Riley Herbst’s late block just another split-second Daytona gamble, or did he truly cost Keselowski a legitimate shot at the win?
  • Is Denny Hamlin right to defend his driver publicly, even while admitting the wreck was on Herbst?
  • Did Kyle Busch make a savvy veteran points play by bailing out of the draft on the white flag?
  • Does backing out of the lead pack signal frustration, maybe even a bigger-picture mindset shift?

At superspeedways, instinct rules everything. Herbst reacted late, Keselowski paid the price, and Hamlin backed his guy. Meanwhile, Busch lifted from 25th, avoided the wreck, and gained ten spots, a move that looks smart in hindsight but could have backfired badly. In a new points-heavy format, are drivers thinking differently? We break down both moments, what they really mean, and whether everyone involved might actually have a point. Plus, early Cup Series power rankings to wrap it up.

Watch Also