The NASCAR Community Reacts to Legacy Motor Club’s Lawsuit

Let us know what you think

Join the conversation on socials

What’s Happening?

This week, Jimmie Johnson’s NASCAR Cup Series team, Legacy Motor Club, sued fellow team Rick Ware Racing, claiming the team “wants to back out” of an agreement to sell a Charter. Fans have had some time to digest this suit, and as usual, everyone has something to say.

The Daily Downforce is Hiring

No April Fools Day Joke

Of course, this news broke on April 1, which is April Fools Day, and was a very busy day for NASCAR news.

However, as reported by Jordan Bianchi of the Athletic, this lawsuit was no joke.

LMC claims that RWR is attempting to back out of the agreement; however, reports claim that RWR believed they were selling the charter for the 2027 season but backed out after the agreement included 2026.

Another Chapter of RWR’s Mediocre History

As far as Rick Ware Racing goes, fans have been outspoken about the team’s underperforming history in NASCAR. This did not change after LMC filed this lawsuit, as several quotes from the lawsuit are, let’s say, harsh.

While financial struggles have been the basis of fan theories about RWR’s on-track struggles, this lawsuit added to this with statements like one on page 2 that states, “Strapped for cash, and unable to compete at a Cup Series level by its admission, RWR needed to sell one of its two Charters.”

In the comment section of Out of the Groove’s Eric Estepp’s video about the lawsuit, fans did not go easy on the team. Many cited their bad history, low potential future, and current last-place standing amongst Cup Series teams as a sign that selling this charter would be beneficial for NASCAR.

As user @JayStephens8 said:

Not only did fans agree that it would be a plus for RWR to sell off one of their two charters, but some users, like @Jdfuller82, believe that no one would care if that happened.

Legacy Motor Club: Not Making Any Friends

While some fans flamed RWR, LMC did not leave the marketplace of ideas without its fair share of criticism. The two-car Toyota team has had a difficult time establishing itself as a competitive team since rebranding in 2023 and switching to TGR in 2024.

Others found this attempted expansion to three cars by LMC laughable.

As @DennyDeliversYT said on YouTube, some fans view this as two teams bickering:

While LMC is by no means as bad as RWR, fans of the team and drivers that could end up racing for the team, like 23XI Racing prospect Corey Heim, believe that LMC needs to focus on being competitive with two cars before jumping to three cars.

The 2025 NASCAR Season

However, as YouTube user @calebc.7818 articulated, one of the most important takeaways from fans regarding this lawsuit is the sheer amount of drama happening both on and off track this season.

This lawsuit is the third significant one playing out in 2025. The others include the 2024 lawsuit between Hendrick Motorsports and Hooters, which ended last month, and the ongoing antitrust lawsuit between Front Row Motorsports/23XI Racing and NASCAR.

The LMC lawsuit also dropped minutes after NASCAR penalized multiple Xfinity Series drivers after a tumultuous afternoon at Martinsville. As time goes on, penalties like Chase Briscoe’s, Austin Cindric’s, and now Sammy Smith’s will stand out as some of the most defining moments of the 2025 season.

What do you think about this lawsuit? Let us know your opinion on Discord or X. Don’t forget that you can also follow us /on InstagramFacebook, and YouTube.

Let us know what you think

Join the conversation on socials

Share this:

Picture of Kauy Ostlien

Kauy Ostlien

All Posts