Rumor Mill: Hocevar to Cup…CONFIRMED?

KANSAS CITY, KANSAS - SEPTEMBER 08: Carson Hocevar, driver of the #42 Worldwide Express Chevrolet, looks on during qualifying for the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Kansas Lottery 200 at Kansas Speedway on September 08, 2023 in Kansas City, Kansas. (Photo by Sean Gardner/Getty Images)

The rumor mill is still hard at work. During Truck Series Qualifying at Kansas,  Michael Waltrip said on Fox’s broadcast that Carson Hocevar has a Cup deal for the 2024 season. Waltrip gave no further details about where the 20-year-old could be going. 

Is He Ready?

Despite still being an overwhelmingly young driver, Carson has caught the eye of everyone in the sport. He made his Cup debut at Gateway this year behind the wheel of the Spire Motorsports #7, while he didn’t finish the race Hocevar was very vocal about how much he learned and how grateful he was for the opportunity. Since then, he has hopped behind the wheel of the 42 for Legacy Motor Club. He wheeled the LMC Chevy to its second-best finish all season last weekend at Darlington and is slated to drive the car again at Kansas and Bristol. But we are still asking if two, soon to be three, starts are enough to prove that Hocevar is ready for a full-time ride in the Cup series. 

Where Could He Go?

Right now we only know of a few Cup rides that are definitely open. After his strong performance in the 42 last weekend, many fans began pinning him to take over that ride full-time next year; however, Legacy Motor Club officially silenced those speculations by announcing that John Hunter Nemechek will pilot the 42 next season.

Another option for Hocevar is the Kaulig 31. We’re expecting to hear more about this ride this week according to the timeline Chris Rice provided several weeks ago. Carson has a pre-existing relationship with Chevy and would bring enough sponsors to work alongside support from Matt Kaulig’s Leaf Filter business. Hocevar could be just the surprise Rice referred to.

Another option the 20-year-old could be looking at is the 77 at Spire Motorsports. As we mentioned previously, Hocevar made his Cup debut with Spire and has additionally made several Xfinity starts for the team. A move to the 77 could be the perfect combination of familiar and new as he transitions to rookie status in the Cup series. 

Speaking of Xfinity…

A move from Trucks straight to Cup seems like it’s skipping a step on the totem pole. NASCAR has no set requirements for a driver to work his or her way up through the ranks. Hocevar moving straight to Cup may be a surprise to some, but ultimately it’s not a move NASCAR is unfamiliar with.

In the Stands

@WhoDeyDusty mentions that Hocevar performed quite well last weekend.

@MaxandKylefan notes that he also thinks Hocevar is going straight to Cup.

@Michael25782778 seems to believe that Hocevar will end up in the 77 next season.

@RowdyRuTS18 reminds us that Hocevar is still in contention for a Truck Championship this year.

@kalebvestal1 asked Hocevar about what competing in the Cup series means to him and he let us in on a full circle moment. 

Regardless of where Hocevar ends up in 2024, I think we can confidently agree that he will be an asset to whatever wheel he holds. 

Share this:

Chris Gabehart and Denny Hamlin

Chris Gabehart Responds to JGR’s Lawsuit

What’s Happening?

Chris Gabehart has responded to Joe Gibbs Racing’s lawsuit, strongly denying the allegations and calling the claims “false,” “frivolous,” and “retaliatory” in a public statement released this Friday.

After the lawsuit became public, on Thursday, Gabehart spoke out for the first time, stating that he did not share any confidential JGR information with Spire Motorsports or any third parties and that he intends to prove that in court. He also said a third-party forensic review of his personal devices found no evidence supporting the accusations, adding that JGR declined an offer to examine Spire’s systems before filing suit.

“Yesterday afternoon, Joe Gibbs Racing filed a lawsuit claiming — falsely — that I shared JGR confidential information with Spire Motorsports and/or other unnamed third parties… I feel compelled to speak out today and forcefully and emphatically deny these frivolous and retaliatory claims.”

Gabehart said he will address the matter further in a formal legal response in the coming days.

You can learn more about the lawsuit, why it started and all the context surrounding it in the article linked below

What Happens if it Rains at Atlanta This Weekend?

What’s Happening?

Weather could play a major role in the NASCAR weekend at EchoPark Speedway, with current forecasts calling for a 40% chance of rain Saturday afternoon and increasing to 55% in the evening. While conditions are expected to improve, contingency plans are already in place in case races cannot be completed as scheduled

If Saturday Goes as Planned
  • All scheduled events run normally across the NASCAR Truck Series, O’Reilly Series, and Cup Series
  • No changes to Sunday’s schedule
If One Saturday Race Is Postponed
  • The delayed race would move to Sunday morning
  • It would run before the Cup Series race
  • Other races remain in their original slots
If Both Saturday Races Are Postponed
  • Sunday becomes a tripleheader, with the expected running order being: 1. O’Reilly Series, 2. Cup Series, 3. Truck Series
  • Schedule subject to change depending on conditions

NASCAR has not announced any official schedule changes yet, as decisions will be based on how conditions develop in real time. With rain chances increasing through Saturday afternoon and evening, teams are preparing for multiple outcomes, and Sunday is expected to serve as the primary backup window if events can’t be completed as planned.

Conditions are constantly being monitored, but fans should be prepared for possible schedule adjustments throughout the weekend. We’ll keep you updated throughout the race weekend here on The Daily Downforce

Joe Gibbs Racing/Chris Gabehart Lawsuit is WILD | Complete Breakdown

Just when things finally seemed to calm down in the NASCAR garage, a bombshell dropped. Joe Gibbs Racing is officially suing former competition director Chris Gabehart, and the allegations are serious. Power struggles, confidential data, secret photos, and a potential move to Spire Motorsports.

  • What exactly is Joe Gibbs Racing accusing Gabehart of taking?
  • Did a disagreement with Joe Gibbs spark this entire fallout?
  • How deep does the alleged data access really go?
  • And the biggest question: how badly does Spire still want him now?

From competition department tension to an $8 million damages figure, this lawsuit could have major implications beyond just one team. Gabehart helped elevate Denny Hamlin back into championship form and played a key role in JGR’s recent success, which makes this split even more shocking. This preview only scratches the surface. The full breakdown dives into the timeline, the alleged evidence, and what this could mean for the Cup Series balance of power moving forward. Watch the full video to learn much more

Watch Also