2023 Better-Half Dash Recap
The Better-Half Dash is a charity go-kart race put on by Motor Racing Outreach and Speedway Motorsports. It’s a 15-lap race hosted at Trackhouse Motorplex in Mooresville, and it features wives and girlfriends of current and former NASCAR drivers.
The entry list featured:
- Zane Smith’s fiancé, McCall Gaulding
- Austin Wayne Self’s wife, Jennifer
- Ryan Blaney’s girlfriend, Gianna Tulio
- Daniel Suarez’s fiancé, Julia Piquet
- Chris Rice’s wife, Tammy
- Harrison Burton’s girlfriend, Jenna Petty
- Joey Gase’s wife, Caitlin
- Bobby Labonte’s wife, Kristin
- Daniel Hemric’s wife, Kenzie
- Parker Retzlaff’s girlfriend, Ariana Jencik
- Erik Jones’ fiancé, Holly Shelton
- William Byron’s girlfriend, Erin Blaney
- Cole Custer’s wife, Kari
- Stefan Parsons’ girlfriend, Natalie
The race started with Ariana Jencik and Tammy Rice on the front row. At the end of lap one, race leader Julia Piquet hit the barriers off of the final corner after being hit by Jenna Petty, with both dropping to the back. The lead went to McCall Gaulding.
It became a three-car battle up front between Gaulding, Jencik, and Holly Shelton. Slowly, Gaulding began to pull away.
Gaulding continued to pull away, and she would take the win. Jencik finished second while Shelton rounded out the podium.
Social Media Reaction
Participants and their better halves alike showed on social media the fun times that were had. In a simple go-kart race for charity.
Kristin Labonte had a great time, finishing in eighth during the event.
McCall Gaulding won her third Better-Half Dash in a row. She won $10,000 for City of Refuge in Atlanta as a result.
Diego Alvarado points out the incredible safety of these go-karts.
Of course, Larry McReynolds has his old school pit boards as he spots for Julia Piquet.
Chris Rice had nothing but good things to say about the event.
I am all for this.
A great event for a great cause the Better Half Dash indeed was. The participants had fun, and it was for a great cause.