Byron and Bowman Take on the Lower Series

DARLINGTON, SOUTH CAROLINA - SEPTEMBER 03: Kyle Larson, driver of the #17 HendrickCars.com Chevrolet, drives during practice for the NASCAR Xfinity Series Sport Clips Haircuts VFW Help A Hero 200 at Darlington Raceway on September 03, 2022 in Darlington, South Carolina. (Photo by Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images)
Hendrick has provided 3 of his drivers opportunities to race Xfinity for HMS and Trucks with Kyle Busch Motorsports.

What’s Happening?

Rick Hendrick is a busy man, and he likes to keep his drivers busy.

In the middle of the week between Las Vegas and Phoenix, Hendrick Motorsports and two of their drivers announced their schedule was getting busier. Hendrick shared that they were adding an Xfinity effort to be split between William Byron, Kyle Larson, and Alex Bowman. On Thursday, Kyle Busch Motorsports announced Byron would be driving a truck for them in the No. 51 Silverado.

What You Need to Know:

  • Hendrick Motorsports announced they would field a car for select races in the Xfinity Series while Kyle Busch Motorsports announced Hendrick driver William Byron would also drive in the Craftsman Truck Series for them.
  • The news collectively adds seven races to Larson, Byron and Bowman’s racing schedule in 2023.
  • With more races on the schedule, fans will have the opportunity to see the popular Chevy drivers more often while they seek to sharpen their skills for the Cup Series effort.

Main Characters

Hendrick Motorsports announced the Xfinity schedule Wednesday. They will field the No. 17 car sponsored by HendrickCars.com.

KBM is bringing William Byron into the No. 51 Silverado for three races, also sponsored by HendrickCars.com

In the KBM release, Byron said, “I am so excited to return to racing with KBM. I’m looking forward to getting back in their trucks and hopefully having some fun for these three races. These are three cool race tracks we’re paired up for and I’m interested in running at them since I haven’t raced there in a truck before. “

Rick Hendrick is proud to bring back the 17 to Xfinity. Prior to his sudden passing Mr. H’s son, Ricky, drove the 17 in various races and sported the red, white, and blue scheme featured on the 5 Cup car, 17 Xfinity car, and now, the 51 truck.

The elder Hendrick said in his release, “It was fun being back in the Xfinity Series and seeing a great return from our HendrickCars.com sponsorship. The team had strong results on the track, but we didn’t quite get to victory lane. Having unfinished business gives us extra motivation this season.”

In the Stands

Hendrick fans were excited to see Byron back in trucks.

The nostalgia ran rampant on Twitter after Byron’s announcement.

Bowman fans voiced their support for Alex to get more seat time.

On Reddit, fans expounded upon the news.

The excitement for Darlington was large as Kyle Larson fans shared their anticipation.

Share this:

HAMPTON, GEORGIA - FEBRUARY 20: A general view of the Echo Park Speedway prior to qualifying for the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Fr8 Racing 208 on February 20, 2026 in Hampton, Georgia. (

With Cup Qualifying Canceled, Here’s Your Starting Lineup

What’s Happening?

After Daytona’s chaotic run at the superspeedway, packed with fuel-saving, pileups, and a last-lap crash before Tyler Reddick drove it home to hand 23XI Racing, Denny Hamlin, and Michael Jordan their first Daytona 500 win, the 38-driver pack is now ready to go to the next mini superspeedway stop, EchoPark Speedway. But rain and lightning have already pulled the plug on Cup Series qualifying on Saturday morning, so the metric will set the grid. Here’s where the field will roll off for the Autotrader 400.

The formula previously relied on four criteria: the car’s rank in owner standings (35%), the driver’s finish in the last race (25%), the car’s finish in the last race (25%), and the driver’s fastest-lap rank (15%). For full-time pairings, the two 25% chunks often merged into one 50% slice. But for 2026, NASCAR trimmed the math. Now it will all come down to the car’s place in owner standings (30%) and the entry’s finish in the last race (70%).

By that yardstick, Reddick seizes pole for Sunday and the first pit box of the season’s second round. If 23XI keeps him in the hunt through the draft at Atlanta, he could go back-to-back and start the year two for two.

Team Penske will get another chance at a superspeedway-style track. Joey Logano, who finished the Daytona race last weekend in P3 and won his Duel, will line up alongside Reddick on the front row. The former Atlanta resident will return to the ground he knows well, and if the calendar keeps its rhythm, his even-year run could start early.

Ricky Stenhouse Jr., runner-up in the 500, will start from the third.

On his outside will sit hometown hope Chase Elliott, who came within a turn of stealing Daytona before Herbst tagged the rear of the No. 9 and sent it into the wall, leaving him fourth. But given that he still showed he can slice through traffic on a drafting track and be there when it counts, it might pay off very well at Atlanta. He left Florida without the trophy but with points in hand, two wins on the track, and an average finish of 11.4. He might just be the fan-favorite in Atlanta.

Rounding out the top five is Brad Keselowski, who opened the points season in P5. It is not a bad way to kick off the year, and the former EchoPark winner and last summer’s runner-up understands how to stay in the fight here.

Zane Smith, Chris Buescher, Riley Herbst, Bubba Wallace, and Josh Berry fill out the top ten on the grid.

Who’s out?

Casey Mears in the No. 66 Garage 66 Ford will sit this one out after the team pulled the entry due to damage from Daytona Speedweeks.

Meanwhile, open teams JJ Yeley in the No. 44 for NY Racing and BJ McLeod in the No. 78 for Live Fast Motorsports raced their way in. However, the Austin Dillon and BJ McLeod entries failed inspection twice, leading to the ejection of their car chiefs and the loss of pit stall selection.

Joey Logano Could Break Richard Petty’s 47-Year-Old Record

What’s Happening?

Joey Logano could break Richard Petty’s 47-year-old record for the most consecutive drafting-track races led this weekend at EchoPark Speedway. After leading laps in the Daytona 500, Logano has now led in 19 straight drafting-track races, dating back to 2023, tying a mark The King set from 1974 to 1979.

  • If Logano leads even a single lap in Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race, he would set a new all-time record with 20 consecutive drafting-track races led.
  • Richard Petty established the original streak across events at Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway, the only true drafting tracks of that era.
  • Since its 2022 reconfiguration, EchoPark Speedway has raced like a superspeedway, placing it in the same statistical category as Daytona and Talladega.
  • Joey Logano has led laps in 35 of his last 37 drafting-track starts dating back to 2019, with the only exceptions being Atlanta (now EchoPark) in July 2022 and Talladega in October 2022.
  • Since joining Team Penske in 2013, Joey Logano has led in 45 of the 59 drafting-track races disputed since the 2013 Daytona 500.

Logano now has a clear opportunity to move past Petty and claim sole possession of one of NASCAR’s longest-standing superspeedway records, and considering his and Team Penske’s history of dominance in this style of tracks, it seems that he is poised to break it.

Chris Gabehart and Denny Hamlin

Chris Gabehart Responds to JGR’s Lawsuit

What’s Happening?

Chris Gabehart has responded to Joe Gibbs Racing’s lawsuit, strongly denying the allegations and calling the claims “false,” “frivolous,” and “retaliatory” in a public statement released this Friday.

After the lawsuit became public, on Thursday, Gabehart spoke out for the first time, stating that he did not share any confidential JGR information with Spire Motorsports or any third parties and that he intends to prove that in court. He also said a third-party forensic review of his personal devices found no evidence supporting the accusations, adding that JGR declined an offer to examine Spire’s systems before filing suit.

“Yesterday afternoon, Joe Gibbs Racing filed a lawsuit claiming — falsely — that I shared JGR confidential information with Spire Motorsports and/or other unnamed third parties… I feel compelled to speak out today and forcefully and emphatically deny these frivolous and retaliatory claims.”

Gabehart said he will address the matter further in a formal legal response in the coming days.

You can learn more about the lawsuit, why it started and all the context surrounding it in the article linked below