UPDATE: Indy 500 DELAYED, Kyle Larson to MISS Start of Coca-Cola 600

What’s Happening?

Kyle Larson’s Memorial Day “Double” hit a snag. A violent thunderstorm delayed the Indianapolis 500 until this afternoon, meaning a tough decision was made. Kyle Larson will miss the start of the Coca-Cola 600, casting doubt about his potential eligibility for the Cup Series Playoffs. Here’s everything you need to know.

  • NASCAR’s playoff rules complicate Kyle Larson’s choice. To be eligible for the Playoffs, a driver must compete in all 36 races unless granted a waiver.
  • However, the weather in Charlotte is also iffy at best. How would the weather at Charlotte impact Larson’s attempt?
  • Fans are bummed out by the reality that Larson’s double will be hampered by weather. However, there is a ray of hope for Larson’s future at the event.

Everything We Know

After a long rain delay, Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced that the 2024 Indianapolis 500 will start at approximately 4:44 PM ET, roughly 4 hours after its’ original scheduled start time. Soon afterwards, it was announced that Larson would start the Indianapolis 500.

Larson will miss the start of the Coca-Cola 600, and Justin Allgaier will start the race in the No. 5 car. Jordan Bianchi reports that Allgaier said that Larson would get in the car no matter when he showed up.

If Larson doesn’t start the Coca-Cola 600, he would be deemed ineligible for the NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs unless he is granted a waiver from NASCAR. Waivers had previously been granted to drivers who intended to run the full season but were unable to due to other factors like injuries or suspensions. However, Larson’s case is a new one. Jeff Gluck reports that Larson will “almost certainly” get a waiver.

Original Post

The Indianapolis 500 is officially on a weather delay. While no official start time has been announced, the current ballpark prediction is around 4:30 PM ET. Should the Coca-Cola 600 run on time, Larson would not be able to complete both the Indy 500 and the Coca-Cola 600.

In the wake of the weather delay, Kyle Larson gave his thoughts to NBC reporter Marty Smith. Larson said, “I think our plan is to keep this the priority”. However, Larson later acknowledged that this is a collaborative decision.

It’s not just my decision. I think it’s everybody within Hendrick, Rick Hendrick, Hendrick Automotive Group, Hendrick Motorsports, all of that, you know, I think we’re all a part of the decision, Jeff Gordon, Jeff Andrews. There’s just been so much time and investiment in this, to make this Indy 500 happen. It’s been a buildup for over a year, so, we need to run it, and I want to. I feel like I have a good shot to have a good run and potentially win. I want to be here, but ,I just wish it would all work out and we could get both races in the full distance. I don’t care if it’s on the same day.

Kyle Larson

One of the people Larson mentioned, Jeff Gordon, also gave his thoughts on the move. According to this tweet from Danielle Trotta, Gordon says that the plan is to get Larson to Charlotte at some point, but, what that point is, is currently uncertain.

Larson’s issue is that if he chooses to skip the Coca-Cola 600, he would need a waiver to qualify for the Playoffs. He qualified for the Coca-Cola 600, and if he enters later in the race, maybe NASCAR will give him a waiver. Justin Allgaier is Larson’s backup driver at Charlotte.

However, the weather in Charlotte is very uncertain as well. Local meteorologist Brad Panovich pointed out that weather could hit Charlotte Motor Speedway this evening, likely at about 8-9 PM or about halfway through the race, putting the Coca-Cola 600 in jeopardy.

If the Coca-Cola 600 is delayed, Larson could complete both races. If both races are postponed, “The Double” could also be a Monday affair.

Jenna Fryer also reported last year that Larson’s deal with McLaren is two years. A 2025 “Double” run also seems like it can happen.

Stay tuned to The Daily Downforce as we keep you updated on everything regarding this story.

Share this:

Michael Jordan’s NASCAR Impact | Driver Approvals Questioned After Decker, Cleetus Crash At Daytona

It wouldn’t be Daytona without some weird, wacky, and headline-grabbing fallout. From viral Victory Lane moments to renewed debates about driver approval, NASCAR’s biggest race once again delivered more than just on-track drama. And with Michael Jordan celebrating a Daytona 500 win, the spotlight burned brighter than it has in years.

  • Did Michael Jordan’s raw, emotional Victory Lane reaction create the most mainstream positive buzz NASCAR has seen since 2020?
  • Why did one viral clip take on a life of its own, even after Tyler Reddick addressed it publicly?
  • Has the Natalie Decker crash reignited serious concerns about NASCAR’s driver approval process?
  • And where should the line be drawn between marketing power, opportunity, and competitive fairness?

Jordan’s presence mattered. When the most iconic athlete of a generation shows genuine emotion upon winning the Daytona 500, it reminds the wider sports world that this race still matters. That kind of authentic publicity cannot be manufactured. It resonated far beyond the garage. Meanwhile, the O’Reilly Series race added fuel to another ongoing debate. The massive Decker crash, Cleetus McFarland’s Truck debut incident, and past approval inconsistencies have once again raised tough questions. Consistency, transparency, and accountability are now front and center. Add in Austin Hill’s dominance and Ryan Ellis’ career-best sixth-place run to open the season, and Daytona gave fans plenty to talk about on and off the track.

Watch Also

Adam Petty’s Brief Bright Career Ended in Heartbreak

On May 12, 2000, the NASCAR world arrived at New Hampshire International Speedway expecting another race weekend. Within hours, Adam Petty was gone. His death would become the first domino in an 18-month stretch that forever changed NASCAR’s approach to safety and reshaped the sport at its core.

  • How did a suspected throttle issue in Turn 3 at New Hampshire International Speedway take the life of 19-year-old Adam Petty?
  • Why were officials and team members unable to recreate the malfunction afterward?
  • Did this tragedy expose deeper safety flaws that had gone unaddressed?
  • And how did this moment mark the beginning of NASCAR’s most devastating modern era?

Adam wasn’t just the grandson of Richard Petty or the son of Kyle Petty; he was a young driver building his own path, fresh off his Cup debut at Texas Motor Speedway and preparing for a future with Dodge and Petty Enterprises. His passing stunned the garage and deeply impacted fans who saw the Petty family as part of their own. From the unanswered mechanical questions to the emotional aftermath that eventually led to the creation of Victory Junction, this is where the Firestorm begins. The fear, the controversy, and the transformation of NASCAR safety all trace back to that Friday in Loudon.

Watch Also

Does NASCAR Need Better Quality Control?

The O’Reilly series race at Daytona turned into a breaking point. One crash, one late reaction, and suddenly the conversation wasn’t just about race results, it was about standards, accountability, and who truly belongs at this level of NASCAR competition.

  • After the crash involving Natalie Decker and Sam Mayer, is this just another racing mistake, or proof that NASCAR needs stricter quality control before drivers reach national series events?
  • Was NASCAR right to previously deny Mike Wallace a Daytona 500 start at Daytona International Speedway, even with his experience?
  • Does Chris Wright’s repeated inexperience at high-speed tracks show a flaw in how seats are earned?
  • And where does Cleetus McFarland fit, promising upside, but possibly moving up too quickly?

The Decker incident reignited long-standing perception issues, especially when outside commentary from figures like Mike Davis amplified the embarrassment factor. At the same time, NASCAR has stepped in before, blocking Wallace, sidelining others like Jennifer Jo Cobb, yet those interventions feel inconsistent. Wright’s pit road mistake added fuel to the argument that funding can outweigh readiness. McFarland, meanwhile, represents a different case, raw but potentially coachable, with time to develop if he chooses that route seriously. Money has always shaped racing careers, but when sponsorship outweighs preparation, the sport risks its credibility. Should NASCAR tighten its standards, or is this simply the cost of doing business in modern motorsports?

Watch Also